Thursday, October 22, 2009

Poltergeist IV: Cable Guy

In keeping with our (well, OK...my) October tradition, my Netflix queue is stacked with horror movies. Last night was the BluRay release of Poltergeist. I gotta say, that movie really stands up well. I'm sure they did some remastering for BluRay, but it looked great, the story was good, and it was just a well-built movie.

I haven't seen it since the theatrical release (I was in 3rd grade, I think), and I remember not sleeping well for the next 3 days. Poltergeist, I think, is responsible for my propensity to put scary-ass clowns in my stories. It's interesting how different parts of a movie resonate with you as an adult, as opposed to the same movie watched as a child, how the family and children become more your concern than the safety of the adults--especially since Carol Anne was a dead-ringer for my oldest daughter when she was five.

Also, watching Craig T Nelson smoke pot while reading a book about Reagan's greatness was funny.

I'm a data fiend, and after I watch a movie I will almost always hit the IMDB to see what the actors have done recently, where they got started, and useless trivia about the movie. I knew that the little girl who played Carol Anne died during the third Poltergeist (mis-diagnosed medical condition), but I didn't realize that the actress who played the older sister was murdered by her boyfriend right after the movie was finished. Tragic. The guy served I think 6.5 years. Also tragic. Both of them are interred near each other in the same cemetery.

Anyway, I think my wife gets the next movie in the queue, and then I get one more scary flick before Halloween: Creepshow.
♣♣♣
No idea why, but this My Chemical Romance song (Helena) has been stuck in my head for days. I had to track down the video. If you've never seen it, take a look. The song is very hooky and over-produced, but it tells kind of a catchy story. Also, the video is stunning.

My Chemical Romance "Helena" from Cinelicious on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poltergeist was one of the scariest movies that I ever saw as a child. And YES, the clown scene drove me absolutely bonkers. It still creeps me out, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

And that was a gorgeous video. I cover their red-on-the-inside umbrellas.

-Mercedes

Jeremy D Brooks said...

...and more useless trivia: apparently the director (or somebody) won awards for "color" for that video. Hm.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Yes, I have to agree that it holds up very well. Tragedy seemed to follow that cast though.

Fox Lee said...

Sweet Lord Ozma, I love theatrical rock videos! : )