Wednesday, December 23, 2009

That sounds like a lot of words.

There's still a week left in the year, but I want to knock this out while it's in my head.

This is how I spent my writing year (words-on-page, not including revisions):
  • 150k words on what would (or may, someday) be novels (including my WIP, which should be finished by the end of the month)
  • 5k words on short stories & poems
  • 3k non-fiction (journalism-ism)
  • 20k blogging (assuming 250 words per post, includes family blog)
  • 18k tweeting (assuming 5 characters per word, 130 characters per tweet...man, that adds up fast. That's like six chapters.)
Just focusing on novels, shorts, poetry, and non-fiction articles, that puts me at about 432 words logged per calendar day on average--that's much higher than I would have estimated. Still, I need to do more.


My work towards a novel accounts for 95% of my creative writing. That was damn close to where I had estimated it to be.

I submitted work eleven times--six pieces of work in all--and had two accepted. That's 18% submit-to-sale, or 33% work-to-sale. My average wait time on those stories was 78 days.

My writing income for the year was $40. $15 of that went back to Duotrope.

My reading wasn't so hot--I think I read maybe fifteen novels, which sucks. That's all about time management. I'll do better.

Coming soon: 2010 writing goals.

4 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

Sounds like? That is a nice pile o' words. Onwards to the new, then...

Katey said...

Whoa, that's a LOT of words. Not just productive, but productive toward a few really big projects. Fabulous!

Now I'm vaguely curious about what I wrote... but that seems like so much work. And numbers. The numbers haunt me.

Jamie Eyberg said...

That is a lot of words and a lot of keystrokes. You best wrap your tired fingers around a glass of aged scotch and relax for a bit.

Cate Gardner said...

You've sure been busy this year, Mr. Brooks.

Happy New Year.