Monday, November 3, 2008

October Roundup

Not a very eventful month for me, sadly...lots of words, not much submitted.

  • I managed to get a screenplay off to Hotel Guignol, but I think that was actually in September, now that I think about it.
  • Clearing was rejected by GUD, bounced by Clarksworld, but passed through the first gatekeeper at Abandoned Towers, where it currently sits.
  • I submitted a piece to Cafe Doom for their annual Writer's Choice contest...I can't tell you the name of it, as voting continues for another week or so, but I will say that of the twelve current votes, it's "on the board", so to speak. That is very exciting...really, unbelievably cool. There are some great stories up there by some excellent writers, and the fact that I've gotten any votes from that crowd is beyond flattering, even if I don't end up in the final three. I have about ten more stories to read before I can vote.
  • I knocked out 10k of Mojave, which will, hopefully, become a growed-up novel one day...but, I lost traction with the Halloween haunted house project (here are some pix, if you're interested...it also kept me off of Blogger for a week or so, hence my radio silence), Cafe Doom, and...
  • A new quickie project that popped out of my keyboard half-formed. It is called The Contract of Men, is non-speculative, and very much inspired by the humbling style of McCarthy's The Road (which I'm about halfway through).
So, there's October...next on the docket: finish Contract of Men, keep grinding away on Mojave, and go hear Neil Gaiman speak at the library on Thursday. I did consider it, but I'm not WriMo'ing my NaNo this year...I'm scared of getting sidetracked off of Mojave again.

5 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I am obsessively checking the results over at Cafe Doom... Good luck, Jeremy

Jamie Eyberg said...

Just keep plugging away.

Aaron Polson said...

Best of luck at Cafe Doom.

Rob Brooks said...

Good luck, and keep at it. I'm like Catherine, I'm checking the voting at Cafe Doom on an hourly basis. It's like a compulsion now.

Jeremy D Brooks said...

Thanks, everyone...

Yeah, I'm wearing my F5 key down on the voting thread, too...I'll write for an hour, check the kettle, work for an hour, check the kettle...